Monday, February 27, 2012

Blue Monday - ♪ Happy Birthday, Fats Domino♬

Welcome! It's Blue Monday! For instructions, just click here.

Please take time to check your link to make certain it works.

Visit other Blue participants by clicking on their links and wishing them a Happy Blue Monday!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday was Fats Domino's 84th birthday! Today, I want to honor him with this Blue birthday cake that I found here on the internet.



Fats Domino is special to me because of his music, and one of his hit songs, Blue Monday, is the inspiration for my Blue Monday meme. Here's a picture of him wearing a Blue suit and tie.




The first time I remember hearing the expression Blue Monday was around l958 when I heard Fats Domino sing this song. I've placed a picture of the 45 record for those of us who are old enough to remember records. Blue Monday was a wildly popular rock and roll song. (Ah, we had REAL music then!) The lyrics aren't the greatest; I'll give you that. I've copied them below for you.

However the song, as we kids used to say, "has a good beat to dance to." That was all that mattered in the 50s--being able to dance to the beat. One friend reminded me that we used to dance the stroll to this song. Remember the stroll? Take time to enjoy some good music and feel free to sing along.



Blue Monday how I hate Blue Monday
Got to work like a slave all day
Here come Tuesday, oh hard Tuesday
I'm so tired got no time to play

Here come Wednesday, I'm beat to my socks
My gal calls, got to tell her that I'm out
'Cause Thursday is a hard workin' day
And Friday I get my pay

Saturday mornin', oh Saturday mornin'
All my tiredness has gone away
Got my money and my honey
And I'm out on the stand to play

Sunday mornin' my head is bad
But it's worth it for the time that I had
But I've got to get my rest
'Cause Monday is a mess

In addition, one of my granddaughters, Jenna, is celebrating her 19th birthday today.
We'll all be singing to her this evening.

Happy Blue Monday!


1. Dhemz
2. Dias Spot
3. Ranu, India
4. Pie
5. Gold Fish Cracker
6. Jim, Sydney, Australia
7. Spice Up Your Life
8. Rose
9. Goofy Kids
10. John, USA
11. Miss Bloomers
12. Cabela's Landmark
13. Chubskulit
14. Pat
15. Gengen
16. Riet, Holland
17. Kero, UAE
18. Joyful
19. carolynUSA
20. Jeanne, backyard neighbor
21. Rajesh, India
22. Lina- Simple but Useful
23. juanna
24. Whims and Craze
25. Shydub
26. Hyacinths for the Soul
27. Rebel Sweetheart
28. SwedishCornerDownUnder
29. Leovi - Combing rain
30. Anni
31. mizhelle
32. Tina´s PicStory
33. LaVoice
34. Treasures from the Heart
35. Debbie-Dabble
36. Blue Sky and Sunflower
37. Marit
38. lanie
39. 4U2 Sweden
40. Eden,Australia
41. kara
42. Kim,USA
43. Beverly @How Sweet The Sound
44. Magical Mystical Teacher
45. Kathy-Delightsome Life
46. John McElveen
47. Blooming in Kentucky
48. Leah H.
49. Mildred-Lorraine-France
50. Jackie
51. Sarah ~ Magnolia's Attic
52. Emzkie
53. LadyD
54. Tartan Love
55. JBigg - Blue on Blue - Part 3
56. Jessica Cassidy
57. Pat Langley
58. Joy@Joysweb
59. Karen, Pixel Posts
60. Karen Paul-Burges
61. Anything About Bella
62. The Woman In Me
63. Deli
64. Elaine
65. All Things Pretty...
66. KM @ more than seXy
67. Twiggy
68. JoAnn
69. CailinMarie
70. Ann @ Tin and Sparkle
71. Pat ~ Mille Fiori Favoriti (USA)
72. Loui♥
73. Find Your Happiness
74. Another Blue Monday
75. Utah Mommy
76. Titbelsoeur
77. Cindy
78. Joy@Books and Life
79. Myrna-My Enchanted Home
80. Our Travels
81. Schotzy@Wings of Eagles
82. Barbara
83. Nancy
84. Finch Rest
85. janice

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.




58 comments:

Dhemz said...

ayay! I love some of his songs...what a wonderful tribute Sally!

Fashion Momma said...

I know some of his songs. Nice post!

My Blue Monday.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Such a beautiful tribute!

Sonia said...

Fun post! Fats Domino's music is fantastic..love Austin City Limits too! I used to live there! Great venue for music!
Miss Bloomers

Anonymous said...

Sally,
Hello! My first time here. Thank you for hosting. Pat

Anonymous said...

Great songs and mine is posted already.

My name is Riet said...

Yes Sally those were the days, that was real music we could dance on. I loved Fats too, still do. And we danced, so right.
Happy blue Monday

Joyful said...

Ah, what a performer. I LOVE his music. He is one of a kind. Happy Birthday dear Fats!

It's interesting Smiling Sally as I just saw a special program on Fats the other day. It was all about how they presumed him dead after Hurricane Katrina. Thank goodness he is still with us and may God grant him with more years and good health for bringing joy to the people.

Lina Gustina said...

It's my first time listening his song :)
Happy birthday to the great singer and Jenna...

http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2012/02/simple-but-useful.html

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

Happy Birthday!!! thanks for the information, He sure have excellent music. Happy Monday

Here is my entry

http://www.teachermomma.com/2012/02/blue-monday-artsy-jj-and-blue-building-downtown-pittsburgh/

Unknown said...

it's nice to know where this meme was inspired from...Happy Birthday to your Fat. I must check this song Blue Monday.

Whims and Craze

Sarah said...

Great songs! Happy Birthday to Jenna.
Happy Blue Monday, Sally! ~ Sarah

Czjai said...

Happy Birthday to Fats Domino, and to your granddaughter, too!

Happy Blue Monday, Sally!

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Happy Blue Monday, Sally :)

Greetings from Australia♥

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

happy birthday to both, and have a nice blue Monday !
greetings from France

Anni said...

Lovely Fats, having a birthday on a Blue Monday!

Happy Birthdays and Blue Mondays to all of you that celebrate!

Marice said...

Oh i dont know him.. but its okay.. happy birthday :) and happy blue monday!

Tina´s PicStory said...

happy blue monday! :)

Barbara Jean said...

thanks Sally!!

blessings
barbara jean

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Sally,
Thanks so much fro hosting!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Carol Ann said...

Great post and I enjoyed the video, too:) I'm going to have the google the dance the stroll. I'm curious! Thanks!

lanie said...

i know that song, joining again for blue monday! Wifey Online Diary

4U2 said...

Have a nice blue Monday!

House of Seasons said...

Come and sea my 'blue shop'! Greetings, Lia, Holland

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I agree Saturday is the best and Monday is a mess

Beverly said...

Happy Blue Monday, dear Sally. I hope you have a wonderful Monday.

I'm sharing a "blue" song today, too.

Anonymous said...

I had never heard that song! I hadn't realized that phrase came from a song. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter!

Full-On-Forward said...

That's the song I always relate to Blue Monday Sally- Thanks for such a wonderful post to start this rainy, yucky day! This will make it brighter!

John

Mildred said...

What a great post! Love his music! Thanks for sharing;o)

***
Have a fabulous weekend****

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

I can hear him singing Blue Monday now! Great song and great tribute!

LadyD Piano said...

Happ Birthday's all around! Your post takes me down 'memory lane' because great sounds were happening when we were born! I remember doing the stroll to this special song, along with Blueberry Hill. I have a huge record collection, too and enjoy playing D.J. at our parties. I am in the "oldies but goodies" club. Thank you for sharing the inspiration behind Blue Monday!!

Diane said...

Love his music, thank you for hosting.

Jessica said...

Happy birthday to your idol Ms. Sally, this is a very sweet tribute for him. Visiting from Blue Monday.

http://www.sportyjess.com/my-future-daytona-race-car-driver/

Unknown said...

What a treat this Blue Monday! I love Fats, and the song. Still have some 45's out in the garage. The kids won't know what they are when they find the.:>)

Rovie said...

Great songs! Happy Blue Monday Sally...

Joining here...

http://www.aboutbella.com/2012/02/toys-on-sale.html

Thanks!

Rovie said...

Another entry here...

http://www.travelandfashionquest.com/2012/02/punta-del-sol-resort-restaurant-and.html

Happy Blue Monday Sally!

JLS Hall said...

Wow, Happy Birthday, Fats! I've always loved "Blue Monday" -- it was one of the first 45s I bought back in the day. Great sound, and a great post for Blue Monday!

Deli said...

Now I know the inspiration behind Blue Monday :) Happy birthday to your granddaughter also :)

http://www.stepsonair.info/remembering-singapore/

LV said...

Sally, I am one of those that was around during this period. They just do not have music like we enjoyed back then.

Leovi said...

I love Fast music, happy birthday. Greetings.

Anonymous said...

I love Fats Domino - thank you for such a wonderful tribute, Sally! I haven't joined your party for a while, but I'm back to join the fun... always a wonderful hostess :)

CailinMarie said...

Happy Blue Monday Sally! I enjoyed reading the lyrics to Blue Monday - and happy birthday to our man Fats Domino, what a great smile he has in that picture.

Barbara F. said...

Happy Blue Monday, Sally! See ya soon. xo

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What great memories we have of those times.

CailinMarie said...

hi Sally, you are fast! got a call from my Aunt but we are done talking so I'm back to my blog :-)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sally

My Mom had manyiof his records, yet I never knew Blue Monday wa sone of his songs!

Hugs,

Pat

Loui♥ said...

How I loved Fats Domino!!
as well as ALL of our artists of the day..
the music was definitely "danceable"..
and lyrics understandable..
sure miss those days!
Would you believe I still have a super collection of Vinyl Albums?
and a working turntable..sometimes I'll just crank it up up and DANCE! all by myself with the felines looking on.. amazed!
have a wonderful Monday!!
warmest huigs..
Loui♥

Visits With Mary said...

Love Fats Domino, got to see him perform in Opelouses, La. before he was famous. Happy Blue Monday!

Utah Mommy said...

I actually don't know him myself, but it sounds like he is a legend :)

Here's my very first entry by the way :)
Blue Potato

Unknown said...

I remember as a child listening to my mom’s 45’s. Fat’s Domino was played endlessly.

joyh82 said...

Great post, Happy Birthday to Fats!
Have a great week Sally ;)

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

I remember it because it was still poplar in the 60's . Happy birthday to your granddaughter Jenna !

Elaine said...

I loved the old Fats Domino music or any from that era.. Thanks for the great Monday music

Anonymous said...

No way he is that old! That means...Love his music. Great story. I'm joining in today since I was looking around for a good place to land and have blue on my post!

Jeanne said...

Hi Sally, I have tried to get over here all day. I had a board meeting here from my garden club. Motivation to clean and that's a good thing. Smile!

I love Fats Domino but I didn't know he had a song called Blue Monday. Loved it. We danced and loved the rock and roll music so much. Love your post today Memories of fun times is a good thing.
I'm checking your book giveaway.

Have a wonderful week my dear blogging friend.
Love, Jeanne

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

WOW, 84 years?

What a classic.

Just like this link party, love it and love your blog - thanks for hosting!

Have a wonderful week!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! I'm singing that song in my head and will probably take it to bed with me! :)
I'll bet the bad grammer bugs you since you were a teacher! :) I wish your Jenna a Happy Birthday too!
Hope you're doing well!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Sally,
Happy Birthday to Jenna! As you know, I have a Jenna-Lynn too only mine is 1. Hope you're well these days. Thanks for stopping by yesterday. Good to hear from you! Take care.

Blessings,
Sandi