Thursday, June 26, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Definition

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?

A reader is someone who loves to read. I define myself as a reader. If I were placed on a desert island without a book, I'd be most unhappy. On the other hand, if my husband were on a desert island without a book, it wouldn't bother him a bit.

Now, my husband can read, but he doesn't have the love of reading.
When we were first married, I was a young, just-turned seventeen year-old. I owned no books; I had always used the public library. But, there was no library close to our first home. One morning, I got so desperate for something to read that I read the cereal box--every word of it!

The love of reading is a gift my mother gave to me. Just before my fifth birthday, she took me and my twin brother into the local public library. The rules were that if you could sign your name in script, you could obtain a library card. I could print my name; she'd taught me that, but I had a rough time writing it. My twin brother signed his name with no problem; I struggled, but in the end, I managed to put little connecting lines between each letter so that it looked scripted. I got the precious library card! Card in hand, I remember turning the corner of the room, seeing all those books available, and being told that I could read "any book" I wanted. I determined then and there to read them all! Now, that's a reader!

Are you a reader?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww.. that's a really great library tale. I remember the first time I took each of my kids to the library for their library cards. Here in my town, you have to be 5 to get a card, so it was a big production.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

LOL! Yes my answer was short. I was doing it write before I jumped in the shower. Well Shakespeare said brevity is the soul of wit!

Barbara H. said...

I agree -- love of reading is what defines a reader, whatever they read.

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I loved your story! I'm a book lover and couldn't imagine being stuck anywhere without one. There's a book in my purse 24/7. I don't drive, so I find myself waiting on rides, so I read and wait. Even if its just a page or two. I'm probably a book junkie, but I don't ever want to change. :)

Veggiemomof2 said...

I remember reading the cereal box every morning while eating because it's all I was allowed to read while eating. :)

I use to see a single lady reading while eating dinner @ a restaurant & think "poor lonely lady" now that I'm older I think "Lucky woman!"

ShannonW said...

I am a reader! But there are some folks that don't love reading...yet they are readers.

Anonymous said...

That was a great library story. When I was a kid, my local library was small, but the bigger town close-by had a wonderful library - in a very bad part of town. We went once or twice and I was in absolute awe.

My favorite movie scene - Disney's Beauty and the Beast when the Beast opens the drapes in the library and Belle opens her eyes. That look on her face matched mine the first time we went to the big library.

all day (allen d) said...

nope!
i'm not.

but g-ma, i think it is glorious that you enjoy it as much as i don't.

-Jenna DiStefano

lili said...

great story. and yes, i enjoy reading...even though I have been known to purchase a few Books on CD here & there!? for those long rides...-L

jessi said...

I am most definitely a reader. If I don't have a book in hand at breakfast, I still read the cereal box! :)

Melody said...

Indeed. I love to read; but I read for pleasure. :D

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

oh, yes the blessed lib!!!! I have 4 lovely books waiting there for me right now :) it is such a wonderful place!!

Nithin said...

The love of reading is what makes someone a reader. By that definition, yes, I too am a reader.

trish said...

Like you said, I think it's the love of reading that distinguishes readers.