Thursday, June 19, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Flavors


Think about your favorite authors, your favorite books . . . what is it about them that makes you love them above all the other authors you’ve read? The stories? The characters? The way they appear to relish the taste of words on the tongue? The way they’re unafraid to show the nitty-gritty of life? How they sweep you off to a new, distant place? What is it about those books and authors that makes them resonate with you in ways that other, perfectly good books and authors do not?

In a recent blog I said, "It's difficult for me to enjoy a book with run-ons and sentence fragments. A good read must have believable characters, the plot should flow, and finally, the ending should satisfy with a sound conclusion. In addition, I want to read material without R-rated language or scenes." We all use the same alphabet, with the same twenty-six letters, yet some can put those letters together in a way that makes memories.

Classic authors have something to say that makes it worth my time to read. However, I confess that I fill my days reading contemporary authors.

When I was younger, I enjoyed a good plot, and I still do. John Grisham has a talent for telling a story. I've read most of his writings.

In addition to a story line, I prefer authors who have the ability to write strong characters, such that when I finish reading, I know them, and I want to visit with them again. Liz Curtis Higgs has written a trilogy that is awesome.

Angela Hunt is an author who soars. She fills all of the above criteria. More than that: just when you think you've figured out the direction of the book, you turn the page to yet another twist in the plot.

What do you look for when you're choosing something to read?

16 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

For me well known authors are not important. Characters and the story lines are. And symbolism too.

Here is my BTT post

Jane said...

Great answer! I have never been here before and enjoyed looking around. I am having a Christian Fiction giveaway at the end of the month if you are interested. Until then...Happy BTT!

jlshall said...

Yes, the older I get, the more impatient I'm becoming with authors who think they have to include a lot of "R-rated" stuff to get noticed. A good plot and strong characters are much more likely to hold my attention and keep me coming back for more.

MiLeT said...

somehow john grisham have changed his style as time goes by. although that was just my view.

thanks for dropping by my blog.

Marie Cloutier said...

unless I'm reading a book for review, life is too short to plow through the dreck! :-) I'm like, okay, NEXT! ;-)

Michael said...

I totally agree about R-rated material. So often it seems to not even fit with the story-- completely unnecessary.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I loved your answer, great work, and especially this line: "some can put those letters together in a way that makes memories".

It is so true, what some people do with words is smashing!

Happy BTT!! (and thanks for visiting)

Pete J said...

I agree so much about the content not being r-rated. I think it's a cheap and tacky way of filling pages. I accept that some dialogue is going to have swearing, but it shouldn't be gratuitous and I don't think the sex should be either - when did it become that mainstream fiction has graphic sex descriptions in it? It's not required and in most cases just serves to detract from the story, as if the author is just trying to prove their contemporary value.

(I'm amillionpieces, btw, thanks for the comment)

Idaho Gal said...

I agree that the characters have to be realistic. When they aren't I have difficulty getting into the plot.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I also like writters who write with twists and turns, as well as, have surprising plots.

softdrink said...

I like a Calgon book (you know, something that will take me away). Obviously, I'm still trying to articulate my answer...thanks for not thinking my post was lame. :-D

Anonymous said...

"authors who have the ability to write strong characters, such that when I finish reading, I know them, and I want to visit with them again." - Me too. My all-time favourites are the ones I read over and over and have characters I'd love to meet for real.

Traci said...

I'm with you on the R-rated content. I'm currently reading an ARC I received to review, and last night I was a little over 1/2 way through it when out of the blue popped a scene that made me want to gag. I don't understand when that became the norm - acceptable and even welcomed.

Melanie said...

Good writing is important to me too. I am not that grammar literate so when i catch mistakes they've got to be pretty big. continuity errors drive me super crazy as well. Good post!

Julia said...

I agree about author who have ability to write strong characters, who we want to met again. And they must be a believable characters too :)

Thanks for visiting my blog - have a good day!

John (@bookdreamer) said...

Interesting, mine was a memory lane trip again!