Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Book Review - The Elevator by Angela Hunt

I'm often asked to recommend a good book. First, my definition of a good book is one that is well written. It's difficult for me to enjoy a book with run-ons and sentence fragments. A good read must have believable characters, the plot should flow, and finally, the ending should satisfy with a sound conclusion. In addition, I want to read material without R-rated language or scenes.

I've never gone wrong with an Angela Elwell Hunt book. Her motto is to "Expect the Unexpected." I've read twenty of her diverse novels. Each time I read an Angela Hunt book, I'm sure that she cannot possibly surprise me with yet another new twist, but I turn the page and blink! Angie does not disappoint.

In one of her latest, The Elevator, set in Tampa, Florida during an approaching hurricane, three women become trapped in an elevator. You'll meet: a betrayed wife, seeking revenge and carrying a gun, a mistress with new knowledge, determined to confront her lover, and a cleaning lady, afraid of having her horrible secret revealed. They soon discover that the one thing they have in common is--a man! I can't reveal more or I'll spoil it for you.

Although I did not want to put this one down, I found myself reading slowly to savor every word. The ending is impossible for any reader to guess. Try it, you'll like it!

What's your opinion? Which author do you prefer?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great WOW post.

The image isn't working, so you could try just linking back to wondermommy in the text. Or you can right click on one of the pictures, save it to your hard drive, and then upload it to your post. I'm sorry that you had trouble with the links.

Thanks for participating. Don't forget to stop back by and add your link to the Mr. Linky later today!

Heather Palacios said...

WOW! I feel ashamed that I've never even heard of that author before. But thanks to you and your expert-recommendation, now I will have to sniff out one of her books!

lili said...

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us. Loved the post! (a new fan on many levels)

-L
(lilibeth)

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Sally,

Angela Hunt is a FAB-U-LOUS author...love her! I can't wait to check out the Elevator now that you have "peaked" my interest with it.

I like a lot of Christian Fiction, but that wasn't always the case. When Nick was in the hospital a couple of great friends gave me a novel and said, "Here...you need to get away while you are stuck in this hospital" and that was the beginning of it for me. They gave me "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers and that was it, I was hooked!