Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Movers: My Report

I promised to give you a full report of our move, and here it is. We hired Flat Rate Movers, and were satisfied*(see NOTE) with their professionalism. They were close to on time, cheerful, and came fully prepared with an abundant supply of clean movers' quilts, boxes, and tape--tons of tape. This is a shot taken of our garage. Notice the stacks of quilts folded up on the left side.

We packed all of our stuff except large pictures and lamps. The movers took care of those things. Five men used dollies such as these to load up the heavy furniture. As you can see, it was a beautiful day, without a cloud in the sky.


Here's a shot of our king sized mattress after it was wrapped. Notice that after the quilt is wrapped around the bottom, tons of tape is placed around the quilting to fully contain it.


Here's four of the men collaborating on moving my china cabinet. They first removed the top from the bottom, packaged the glass shelves, and then quilted the bottom and top of the china cabinet separately before rolling the pieces out to the truck. Unfortunately, there is a place that sustained a bad chip in the front top of the china cabinet. We just discovered it this morning! Ah well, that's why God makes furniture repairmen.

Our sofa ready to be loaded. Johnny is at the sliding glass doors trying to take a good-bye picture of our lake. (It didn't turn out, but I took one that I'll show you.)

The sofa being placed onto the truck. Notice two guys holding on to it. They were so careful with our things.

They loaded up everything quickly. Rather than wait until the following day, Johnny and the movers decided to go ahead and finish the move the same day! So the movers zipped up the road to our new apartment. I had to make some hurried phone calls to get our apartment and warehouse available a day ahead, and fortunately, everyone cooperated.


Johnny and I went to closing and then left for Tampa. The movers met us at the apartment, unloaded, and set the furniture exactly where I directed. They then took two upholstered chairs and about two-thirds of the boxes to our rented air conditioned warehouse. (We gave away and donated some of our furniture to reduce the load.)

Here's my final good-bye shot of our lake. We left our pretty plants; the new homeowners much appreciated it. I admit, I already miss this view. However, Father's Day with our two children, two in-law children, and seven grandchildren was definitely worth it! Family is important.

I'm glad we went with Flat Rate Movers. A stressful day was actually turned into a day of smiles!

*NOTE: I have since discovered several pieces of abused furniture that the movers damaged, so now I wouldn't recommend them.

34 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

It's always hard to say goodby. My papa upon leaving his beach cottage for a high rise apartment in senior housing said "life is like a train ride."

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I'm glad the move went well. One time when I moved, we sold the old house, but hadn't closed on the new house so I had to put everything in storage and then take it out and move in.

The last time we moved was only a 3 day wait. We kept the furniture in the van. However, they packed my suitcase with what I needed in the middle of the van. I had to make a run to the department store. I got 3 outfits, PJs and toiletries.

Becky K. said...

So glad the move went so smoothly and you had great weather, too.

Going to closing is always a bit hard on the stomach but feels better when it is done.

I am very sure the new home owners were thrilled to have such lovely plants.

Enjoy your day!

Patti VZ said...

Sounds like there were a lot of answered prayers throughout your move. Glad it all went well.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I am so glad things went so smooth, moving is hard enough with out having to deal with incompatent movers. I haven't had to move in 29 yrs and pray I can spend the rest of my live here. But like you said family is so important and all of my boys are within an hr and a half's drive.
Molly

Becky said...

I'm glad things worked out so well for you. Sounds like God has already begun to bless your life in your new location. :)

jlshall said...

Well, that sounds great! And you were so lucky that the weather cooperated - I think it's rained every time we've moved, and the movers have always lost at least one box or item of furniture. Glad your adventure is working out so far!

Coloradolady said...

Sally, I am so glad everything went smooth. I know you will enjoy being closer to your family...the adjustment will just take time, and good memories with those grandkids will replace your views.

Anonymous said...

Morning Most Dear Smiling One! Oh, what a wonderful moving day and sounds like it was a terrific success! Bye bye pretty view, but as you said - family is more important! Now are you unpacking or did you get the nice moving men to stay and help? I bet they'd come back and help for some home cooking! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

LV said...

You have been truly blessed during this move. Not many have had this kind of experience during moves. Glad it is over and all is well.

Dixie said...

maybe you should put Flat Rate Movers on "Angie's List" so others can find them too... great tale... although I sensed a little sadness in your leaving your beloved home... home is where your family is... and soon you'll get it back...

blessings. Dixie

April said...

So glad to hear that your move went smoothly, Sally! That's always a huge relief! Here's to beginning the new chapter in your life!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a blessing when a move goes well. It is really hard to leave one place, but your new home will be such a lot of fun. Wonderful to be near family. Hugs, Marty

sara said...

it is always hard to say goodbye to a season of your life, but those grandkids will be soooo blessed to have you close by!!!

Southern Lady said...

Sally, I'm so glad your move went so smoothly, and I hope this finds you getting settled in the apartment. I know you're going to love being closer to your family, and can take the time to find a house that's perfect for you -- maybe even on a lake!

Neabear said...

So nice that things went smoothly for you and Johnny. I like the good bye shot of the lake. I can see how you would miss that already. I wish you the best in your new location.

raxx a day in the life said...

Hi Sally, another big step, how was your first night in your new apartment?

I'm so happy your move went smoothly, the new owners of your home are double lucky!! what great plants they got!!

Salmagundi said...

I've never heard of this company; but if I ever have a need, I'll check them out. Thanks for the recommendation. Sally

Barbara H. said...

We've used movers twice because we were moving because of my husband's job and his company paid for them. What a blessing - I can't imagine doing all that ourselves. I haven't heard of this company but will keep them in mind.

ItaJeff said...

Hi Sally..I'm so glad the move went well and smoothly. Hope everything will be fine for you in your new place

Have a nice day

Lots of luv,
Ita

Terry said...

Howdy Sally
Blessings of comfort to you as you adjust to your cheese being moved .
Be it our choice or not when the cheese in life moves it is always
a big step to start fresh and settle into a new location .
May you have many more happy moments like your precious Fathers Day memories to share with all of us here in blogland that care so much for you.
Chin up sweetie you can do the rest of this we are all praying for this to be a stress free time as you unpack and ejoy life with Johnny and the rest of your family .
Have a wonderful day.
Happy Trails
Hugs

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sally, I'm glad things went well (minus the chipped glass), and I'm glad you had a good Father's Day with your kids.

I can't wait to meet you! BIG SMILES!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Musings of A Minister said...

Those people need to pay you an advertising fee. You're good! Very interesting story. I enjoyed it.

Martha said...

So glad all went well with the move! You're just a hop, skip and jump from me (I'm just outside of Sarasota). Thanks for the warm welcome to Blue Monday too :-)

Four Paws and Co said...

Great pictures Sally! I'm sure your organization helped the movers do their job. It's good to know there are some companies that value an eye for details & careful preventive measures. Hugs! diane

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

So glad the move went well. I have heard so many horror stories from people who have hired the wrong moving co. And the weather looks like it was soo cooperative too. I look forward to seeing the new place. You're right, family is much more important than a view of the lake, even if it is a beautiful view! laurie

Anonymous said...

It sounds like everything went well. I know today must have been a hard day for you.

Unknown said...

So glad things went so well for you!

Charlotte said...

It's so nice when things go well. You almost make me want to move. It looks like fun. I said almost.
Charlotte

dana said...

Wow!! What an organized move!! I LOVE the blue tape idea. We had exceptional movers, too, but I do believe YOURS were even MORE exceptional!!

I can't imagine not having that lovely lake as a gorgeous view any more, but it's a small price to pay to be close to family....

Good luck with your transition and don't forget to REST!! Dana

Anonymous said...

Well, Hallelujah! Someone actually knows what these little forks are really used for! An olive fork, huh? Man, the things I learn in the Land of Blog! Thank you Most Learned Smiling One! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

C. JoyBell C. said...

This brings back so many memories!

I have moved around so much, in my life!

Boxes are my friends!

Ha ha ha ah ah! :)

Regina said...

Glad to hear from you. It's nice house.

Life on the Edge said...

Moving day is usually a nightmare. I'm glad that yours went well! I am sure it was very hard to say goodbye to your home.

Kady