Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Book Review - With Endless Sight by Allison K. Pittman

Behind every story of loss is the promise of grace.

Belleville, Illinois and Wyoming Territories, 1861

Born into a life of privilege, fourteen-year-old Belinda never questions her security, even as she leaves Illinois with her family to discover new adventures in the Oregon Territory. But when disaster falls, Belinda is left wounded, weak, and alone. Her faith in God gives her the only strength she knows in a harsh new world.

Belinda’s journey takes her to a snow-covered mining camp and a red-roofed brothel in the Wyoming mountains, but not before she must spend a lonely winter with the man who took away the life she knew. Throughout the grief and hope of a strange land, Belinda must decide if her faith is big enough to allow her to forgive.

The satisfying conclusion to the Crossroads of Grace series, With Endless Sight offers a rich story of family, new beginnings, and the freedom that grace can bring.
I won this in a giveaway, and although historical fiction is not my genre of choice, I loved this book from the first sentence: "I wasn't asleep--wasn't even pretending to be--when my cousin Phoebe slipped into my room." So many thoughts come to mind with that sentence. What time is it? It must be night because the speaker is supposed to be asleep. Why is Phoebe slipping into a room when someone is sleeping? What's she up to? Why isn't the speaker asleep? Why doesn't she even pretend? What happens next?

Allison K. Pittman can write! With the plot compelling, the main character so realistic that I felt as if I've talked with her, the twists and turns surprising me over and over again, make this ONE GOOD READ!

4 comments:

Blessed said...

thanks for the great review!

Also, thanks for dropping by my blog!

Pam said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed browsing through your blog today as well. Thanks for adding me to your sidebar, I am going to add you as well.
Have a wonderful day,
Pam

Forgetfulone said...

I wish my students would have those kinds of thoughts when they read. Maybe then they would like it.

Thanks for coming by my blog and entering my giveaway.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, this does sound like a good one. I actually really like historical fiction.

Thanks for stopping by. As a sidenote, I was in the room when my daughter got part of a granola bar in her nose. I was baking cookies with my son. Kiddos are just quick at doing those things. You know?