Monday, May 31, 2010

Blue Monday - Memorial Day

It's Blue Monday! I'm so glad you came.

Please place the blue bird logo at the top of your post so that others easily find your Blue Monday post. Remember to place the link for Blue Monday in a prominent place; much as I hate to, I will DELETE those who do not follow this simple rule.

To participate: just click here for BLUE MONDAY INSTRUCTIONS or check out the instructions in my sidebar.

If you visit other Blue participants, you'll discover that they will return the favor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. We have blue as one of the colors of America's flag.




Memorial Day Trivia:

* Memorial Day is a day of remembrance of those who have died serving our country.
* General John Alexander Logan ordered the Memorial Day holiday to be observed by decorating the war dead.
* On Memorial Day, the flag should be at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.
* Red Poppies are recognized as the Memorial Day flower.
* “Taps” is often played at ceremonies on Memorial Day.
* Memorial Day was first called “Decoration Day” because of the practice of decorating soldier’s graves with flowers.
* New York was the 1st state to officially recognize Memorial Day.
* Flowers and flags are the two most popular items people use to remember soldiers.
*After World War I the meaning of Memorial Day changed from honoring civil war dead to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war.
* Memorial Day was declared a federal holiday in 1971. This began the three-day weekend celebrations.



Happy Blue Monday!


Blue Monday Participants
1. Kathy @ Delightsome Life
2. Rajesh, India
3. Manang Kim~USA
4. mizhelle
5. I smell fish and ice cream
6. Dena E~~~Dream Doolders
7. Riet, Holland
8. Lani-Trucks
9. ellen b -
10. Lana G!
11. Teena @ Rosy Colour
12. Shirleys World
13. Candy@The Little Round Table
14. LaVoice
15. Sarah@BloggingWhileWaiting
16. Mary@OnePerfectBite
17. peggy gatto
18. bj @Sweet Nothings
19. Diann @ The Thrifty Groove
20. Eden, Australia
21. Joysweb
22. Rinkly Rimes
23. Sam@Mom.Undecided.
24. Shannara
25. Benikos,Samos,Greece
26. Benikos, Greece
27. Joyful in Vancouver Canada
28. Jan, Australia
29. Yoli ~ Apron Senorita
30. tatess-Blog and Me
31. MIN FOTODAGBOK SWEDEN
32. Irene, Norway
33. Wira Santosa
34. Becky@Random Musings of a Deco Lady
35. Blessing Reflections
36. shirl
37. Debbie-Dabble
38. Reach Beyond Limits
39. Annelie E, Sweden
40. Jeanne,backyard neighbor
41. The Tablescaper
42. cindy
43. LUNA
44. Beverly@How Sweet The Sound
45. Hyanne- It's Not Just A Blog
46. tin and sparkle
47. Vernz, Philippines
48. Belle
49. Christi at A SOUTHERN LIFE
50. DeniseMarie
51. My Painting Room
52. Terry
53. Kathryn
54. Lynn Lovelies
55. Happy Memorial Day!
56. Pie
57. Small Reflections
58. Tinas Photoblog, Sweden
59. Charlotta, Sweden
60. annies home -
61. HoodPhoto (OR-USA)
62. Chie Wilks
63. Shy@Milestones
64. Homemaking In High Heels
65. hip chick

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.


51 comments:

Dena E's Blog said...

Hello Sally,,,I do hope you will enjoy a beautiful Memorial Day and
a HAPPY BLUE MONDAY Sweetie..
Big Iowa Hugs Dena

ellen b. said...

Thanks for the Memorial Day facts. I enjoyed reading them. Happy Memorial Day to you Sally!

☺lani☺ said...

Nice to know about Memorial Day! My dad once an American Navy. He was in China and Vietnam before he came to the Philippines.

Happy Blue Monday!

Kathy said...

This is terrific Sally. I am truly thankful for those who have served and are currently serving. They certainly deserve our respect and prayers.
God Bless,
Kathy

Lana G! said...

Love the Memorial Day trivia and that picture is precious of the little boy at the gravesite.

Teena said...

We have a Memorial Day in Australia, too. It's called Anzac Day and it's on 25th April. Happy Blue Monday <3

peggy gatto said...

A wonderful thoughtful post, thank you!

Eden said...

Hi, Sally!

Thank you for sharing the Memorial Day trivia. I learn something today.

Happy Blue Monday

jlshall said...

Nice post for Memorial Day. One of our saddest holidays, but an important one.

Unknown said...

Thank you for that great trivia and for hosting our party today! Happy Blue Monday!

Sarah

Rajesh said...

Very informative and beautiful shots.

Joyful said...

Have a blessed Memorial Day, Sally.

Jan said...

Teena got in before me to mention ANZAC DAY in Australia. Great to read the facts about your Memorial Day.
Trusting you are having a thoughtful and safe day.
Many Blessings - Jan

Lady Patchy said...

thanks for the Memorial day trivia .Happy Blue Monday to you!

Irene said...

Great post for Memorial Day. Happy Blue Monday!

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

It's great to take time and appreciate those who died, and are serving our country. Love your photos!

Have a wonderful day!

Annelie said...

In Sweden it´s not Memorial day, but I will send a blue picture anyway......
Have a nice day everyone!

Shirl said...

Good morning Sally, Happy Memorial Day! This is a great post, always fun to know the facts! I'm off today and school will be out in four days so I plan on posting for Blue Monday's throughout the summer.
Blessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a good Memorial Day!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a wonderful tribute to MD!!

Have a great holiday!!

Debbie

Jeanne said...

Good morning Sally, I like your info on Memorial Day. I am always a bit sad on this day because of American soldiers who have given their lives to protect our country. I think of the families who mourn them the rest of their lives. There are so many people in our country now who could care less. This country has changed so much.

Our grandson's graduation is tomorrow. I am so glad we are able to celebrate with him. I am sure he will be thinking of his mom who passed away last Spring. I posted about him tomorrow. Could you leave him a comment tomorrow
Sally? I am not expecting very many visitors. Than you so much.

Happy Memorial Day.
Love, Jeanne

The Tablescaper said...

I didn't know that it wasn't until 1971 that Memorial Day was considered a National holiday.

- The Tablescaper

Cindy said...

Happy Memorial Day!! You always find such interesting information. I did not know all of this.
Cindy

Kathy said...

Sally
I was delighted to see you stop by. So glad you like my rooster. He makes me smile.
Hope you have a Delightsome day!
Kathy

Debbiedoos said...

Happy Memorial Day!!~ And thank you for fixing my link...so sorry about that.

luna said...

Happy Memorial Day to you Sally!

LV said...

Sally, a wonderful ay to honor or service people today. You seem to find some of the neatest things for any occasions. You make a super duper Blue Monday hostess.

Verna Luga said...

God Bless them whereever they are.. perfect entry Sally

Joined Blue Wednesday here

Verna Luga said...

Apologies ... It's Blue Monday....

Maharlikah said...

Beautiful entry Sally. God bless!

Belle

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally! Happy Memorial Day and this is such a nice post! Now I'm not blueing with you today, but wanted to stop over and say hello!! Hope you're doing well and enjoying your lovely new home.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Salmagundi said...

There is not a better blue anywhere than in OUR flag. Sally

Beverly said...

Happy Blue Monday, Sally. It seems so many of us have Memorial Day in our hearts and on our minds for this Blue Monday.

So many have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.

Denise Marie said...

great tribute!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sally, what a touching reminder of the meaning of this day. Thank you! I hope you are having a grand weekend and enjoying Blue Monday. Blessings...Mary

Carol said...

Hope your day is lovely! Thanks for all the interesting info about Memorial Day!

Terry said...

Howdy Sally
Happy Blue Monday .
Thank you for hosting this beautiful Blue Monday event .
May God bless you for remembering Memorial day and sharing with us here .
Your images truly touched my heart .
May the rest of your week be filled with many happy blessings .
Until next time
Happy Trails

Kathryn said...

Very nice post in honor of those who served. I'm thankful for so much because of them.
Have a wonderful Monday!
kat

Farah said...

Hello Sally !!! I just start a blog and first time I participate in any Party, I like Blue too, so I join you in Blue Monday...
Hope I can participate well

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

It is my blog, Wish if you pay a visit there
Love

maria said...

Happy Memorial Day Sally!

My Blue Monday.

annies home said...

Happy Memorial Day

aspiritofsimplicity said...

The boy with the flags is such a fantastic picture.

DoanLegacy said...

Love your pictures! Hope you had a great time today.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Sally, that picture of the little boy at the cemetery is just so touching. Interesting Memorial Day facts. I remember when it became a national holiday. Hope you had a good day today. laurie

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

Happy Memorial Day to you too Ms.Sally

Gwendolen Elaine said...

Whew!I almost forgot to link up!All day, I have been thinking it was Sunday.I guess because the kids were home from school?Maybe it's just me!Happy Memorial Day, Sally!

Farah said...

Hello Sally !!! I just start a blog and first time I participate in any Party, I like Blue too, so I join you in Blue Monday...
Hope I can participate well

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

It is my blog, Wish if you pay a visit there
Love

xinex said...

Thanks for this post and info, Sally. I learned something today. John and I wondered why the flag we saw this morning was at half staff and I just got my answer...Christine

Marice said...

nice thats perfect for Memorial Day :) thanks for sharing the info!

Anonymous said...

Great post Sally! I liked the photos too. We usually spend Memorial Day quietly. Our flag always flies. We are so blessed to live in this country. We enjoy so many freedoms today because of the troops that lost their lives for us.

kayellen said...

Happy Memorial Day and Blue Monday~~

I tryed to register to jion in~~~ but did something wrong?!~~couldn't get Mr. Linky 's approval~~

Hope you had a memorable Memorial Day weekend:)

Blessings,
KayEllen