Monday, August 31, 2015

Blue Monday - How It All Began

Hello! Welcome to Blue Monday! For complete instructions, just click here.

Please leave a comment for me; I guarantee that I'll visit and leave one for you. Visit other Blue participants by clicking on their links and leaving comments. If it's too much for one day, come back later in the week. Make someone's day when you wish them a Happy Blue Monday!

**Next week will be the 7th blogiversary of Blue Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first time I remember hearing the expression "Blue Monday" was around l958. It was a wildly popular rock and roll song sung by Fats Domino. Ah, we had REAL music then! The lyrics aren't the greatest; I'll give you that. I've copied them here so that you can sing along.

However the song, as we kids used to say, "has a good beat." That was all that mattered in the 50s--being able to dance to the beat. Take some time to enjoy some good music. 


Blue Monday how I hate Blue Monday
Got to work like a slave all day
Here come Tuesday, oh hard Tuesday
I'm so tired got no time to play

Here come Wednesday, I'm beat to my socks
My gal calls, got to tell her that I'm out
'Cause Thursday is a hard workin' day
And Friday I get my pay

Saturday mornin', oh Saturday mornin'
All my tiredness has gone away
Got my money and my honey
And I'm out on the stand to play

Sunday mornin' my head is bad
But it's worth it for the time that I had
But I've got to get my rest
'Cause Monday is a mess



Click on the picture below to hear the song sung by Fats, but be ready to MOVE to the beat!



Fats Domino is living in New Orleans and still singing.


We're experiencing heavy rains, and with our grounds already saturated, we're also under flood warnings.

Happy Blue Monday!

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.



32 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Thanks for the history lesson. I'm boppin' !

Happy Blue Monday!

Jeanne said...

Dear Sally, I so remember your Blue Monday blog party almost 7 years ago. The song was fun to hear as well as reading the words. Blue Monday is still a fun blog party thanks to your dedication in keeping it going all these years.

I stayed up late to link up tonight but it is past my bedtime. So good night and have a happy Blue Monday.

Love,
Jeanne

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I don't remember this song--a little before my time, as i was in Kindergarten that year--lol

When I listened to it I agree that it had a good beat, Sally!

Happy Blue Monday!

Sarah said...

Happy Blue Monday, Sally. Looking forward to celebrating. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

1958, I was 9 years old, and had no interest yet in "adult songs:)"
But Fats Domino's music has definitely made a place in the jazz world!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Enjoyed the video of Fats Domino and glad to hear he is still singing.

Gerald (SK14) said...

Hope you survive the flooding without too much harm

Julie said...

Never heard of the song, it was before my time.

Maria's Space said...

I never heard this song. Thanks for the history

GranthamLynn said...

Thanks for the party. I have lots of Blue today.
Come over after 5:00 today and link Blue Monday. My Fabulous Fall party is Link the Linky this week.
Come over and join me!
Have a fun Blue day. Praying the rain slows up a little so you don't have any flooding. XXOO

xinex said...

I like Fats Domino especially "I'm Walkin. Shows our age, doesn't it? LOL. Thanks for hosting, Sally...Christine

Anonymous said...

What a nice song! Love it! I can't sit still on my chair, on that song you have to move :-D
Have a fine monday, Hilde

photodoug said...

Sally, yes, Fats is still rockin' and so is Blue Monday. Rock On. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Kay said...

Happy Monday to you Sally....great song!

LV said...

The beat goes on and so does the Texas heat. We go from one extreme to another. A few months ago, it rained for days and now no rain for nearly two months.Have a good week and many blessings.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

What a good song, Sally! Certainly had me bopping along.
A pity about the maroon record label, I just had to make it blue:
http://cl.ly/image/1f3v3X461z3b
:-)
Thanks for hosting.

Jeannie Marie said...

I'm retired now and my Mondays aren't blue anymore and each week I rejoice! It' was good to hear the history of this fun party!

carol l mckenna said...

That is another version of Blue Moon ~ prefer the older one ~ 'Blue moon, you saw me standing alone....

Thanks for visiting ~

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

Salmagundi said...

I must have missed that month -- I don't remember that song, and I was pretty well up on the tunes of the time! Have a great week. Sally

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Nice piece of music history today Sally. Thank you for Blue Monday. I look forward to joining in. 7th Anniversary so very soon.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

My Mondays were BLUE when I had to go to school and work, so Monday was the worst!
Congrats for 7 years of Blue Monday. Time goes by very quickly now.
I like that song you were inspired by.
Thank you for hosting sweet lady and I'm happy you are feeling better.
Have a lovely week.
FABBY

Annesphamily said...

Congratulations Sally, time really flies by! Hope the rain has let up somewhat where you are! I nearly forgot to link up today lots to do! Have a great week and I love your Blue Monday song choice! Hugs, anne

bj said...

No music in the history of the world has been better than 50's music and I would have married Fats Domino if ever he had asked....:)
One of my most treasured memories is going to one of his concerts back in the 50's...I was SURE I had died and gone to Heaven.
Thanks for the memories.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally and Happy Blue Anniversary!

The Greats are always great but there are still some great musicians around now and, funnily enough, I've featured one in today's post :-) If you follow the link in the title you'll find a music video that I helped Julia produce. Enjoy!

Have a great week,
Sarah

Sonja Hoyt: The Happy Travel Bug said...

I think it's great that you have been doing Blue Monday for so long. Congrats on such a successful link up. I'm so glad I found it and am joining in on the fun now. :)

joyh82 said...

Good ole Blue Monday! Never knew it was a song. We need to have a Party for the anniversary. Wow that is awesome.

NCSue said...

I hope you'll come on over to http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/08/strange-visitors-in-garden.html to link up!

GranthamLynn said...

Glad you enjoyed the Beach. The Link Your Linky Party is open now
I'd love you to come over and Link Blue Monday!

annies home said...

Thanks for hosting this fun filled sharing event. I love Fats there will never be another one that can fill his shoes

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments my friend. I am very surprised you didn't think my topper was blue and hey, I always called it blue with orange...maybe sky blue? Lol
Hugs,
FABBY

GranthamLynn said...

Added another Blue post. Smiles and Hugs!

GranthamLynn said...

I fixed it. Sorry I missed. I had the words just forgot the linky.
Hope you have a wonderful party.