Friday, November 14, 2008
My Thanksgiving Meme
I found this meme from the 2006 archives of Amy at Ink, Paper, Yarn - Oh My! I've changed a thing here and there to make it my own. Here are my answers:
1. Which do you like better: cooking at your house, or going elsewhere?
These days, I prefer going. I’ve spent many Thanksgiving days cooking at my house, but the past years I’ve smiled as my daughter-in-law does the cooking. She’s a good cook, too!
2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen bird?
My favorite has long been the Butterball frozen.
3. What kind of stuffing?
I like what Mama made, and it’s what I always made. However, I eat whatever is on the table, as long as not too much sage is used.
4. Sweet potato or pumpkin pie?
Pumpkin pie AND Pecan pie.
5. Do you believe that turkey leftovers are a curse, or the point of the whole thing?
Never a curse! The whole idea of Thanksgiving dinner is the wonderful turkey, lettuce, and mayonnaise sandwich later on.
6. Which side dish would provoke a riot if you left it off the menu?
Candied sweet potatoes
7. Do you save the carcass to make soup or stock?
I used to save the carcass to make soup. Throw in some vegetables, add some noodles or rice and yum!
8. What do you wish you had that would make preparing Thanksgiving dinner easier?
A new back when mine aches.
9. Do you get up at the crack of dawn to have dinner ready in the early afternoon, or do you eat at your normal dinner hour?
When I cooked, I’d get up at the crack of dawn and get the turkey in the oven early so we could eat during halftime. This gave Johnny an additional thing to be thankful for.
10. If you go to somebody else's house, what's your favorite dish to bring?
11. What do you wish one of your guests would not bring to your house? What would you like them to bring?
Wine; I'd like autumn flowers.
12. Does your usual mix of guests result in drama, or is it a group you're happy to see?
We’re all thankful to be able to spend the time together.
13. Is your cranberry sauce fresh or canned? Whole or jellied?
14. What's your absolute favorite thing on the menu?
Turkey with some cranberry sauce on top. Johnny would say mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.
14. Share one family tradition.
Before saying grace and eating, we go around the table with each one telling what they are most thankful for this year.